Minutes

From COST-MOBILISE Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Minutes from telco 1

2020-04-15

We were five participants (i.e., Sven Bingert, Gila Kahila Bar-Gal, Dragan Ivanovic, Dagmar Triebel, Tanja Weibulat).

TOP 1 We decided to slightly consolidate the three google documents until the end of next week. For that we have three teams. Gila and Tanja for the document "General topics", Dagmar and Dragan for the document "Functional topics" and Sven for the document "Best practices, certification and user aspects". At friday next week (24.4.) Tanja will create a new google document with three general main chapters and template sub-chapters and will start to transfer the text from these three documents in this joint document. Starting with that the teams could do further editing and transfer work.

TOP 2 We have a new table with the title "Archiving and long-term storage organisations in Europe with AIPs from the Science Collection domain" under https://costmobilise.biowikifarm.net/wiki/Useful_links_and_materials. Finally, this table might be part of the chapter "Best practices, certification and user aspects" of the guideline und might be mainly under the responsibility of Sven Bingert. He proposed to synchronise it with the information as collected by registries like re3data.org for research data repositories. The content of the table will rapidly change over the time (the curation of the table is not easy). The number of archives included should be restricted. Members of the active WG4 group who might be interested to contribute will be contacted as well as persons from the single data archives. It will be discussed later whether a snapshot will be integrated in the guideline, chapter ""Best practices, certification and user aspects".

TOP 3 We have a draft glossary under https://costmobilise.biowikifarm.net/wiki/Definitions_of_core_terms_in_the_data_archiving_context . Further terms and definitions as well as links to reference sites are needed. Finally a snapshot of the glossary might be part of the guideline, but some of the terms might be well explained as part of the text. At the moment we will concentrate on the text of the guideline and will create the glossary at the end. The glossary is regarded as part of the chapter "General topics".

AOB We will have the next telco with start of May (Tanja will create a doodle for that soon). Then we will decide about the time line and how and when to involve the whole WG 4 group.


Minutes from telco 2

2020-05-08

We were four participants (i.e., Sven Bingert, Dragan Ivanovic, Dagmar Triebel, Tanja Weibulat), Gila excused

TOP 1 Progress report: All parts of the GoogleDoc are in progress. We work in restructuring the single subchapters and organize to transfer parts from the special chapters in the introduction part as far as necessary. In the introduction we should describe the background and wider objectives of the guideline, including descriptions what we understand, e.g., as data repository or data archive. The part "general topic" should also explain what are basic technical features of long-term preservation/ archiving (hardware and software aspects and storage).

TOP 2 We shortly mentioned the lecture, which was held by Dagmar at the CETAF ISTC group virtual meeting, see talk Data archiving strategies in regard to CETAF facilities and planned DiSSCo services - highlighted by COST Mobilise. This overview talk on our activities for an audience from the collection community (approx. 40 experts and non-experts) might help for better structuring of the GoogleDoc. The CETAF ISTC group suggested that we should keep in mind those RDA groups which are related to the archiving topic. The links to RDA groups are now included under Useful links and materials. It was also discussed that the archiving topic is generally neglected, e.g. in the ICEDIG document with the Provisional Data Management Plan for DiSSCo Infrastructure, see https://icedig.eu/sites/default/files/deliverable_d6.6_icedig_provisional_dmp_for_dissco.pdf.

AOB We will have the next telco in the second week of June (Tanja will create a doodle for that soon). Then we will decide how and when to involve the whole WG 4 group.



Minutes from telco 3

2020-06-09

We were four participants (i.e., Sven Bingert, Dragan Ivanovic, Dagmar Triebel, Tanja Weibulat), Gila excused

TOP 1 Progress in writing the guideline

Unfortunately the participants did not find enough time to continue with writing and editing. We agreed to proceed within the next two weeks. Dagmar will work to write some text to introduce the scope of the chapter "functional topic". Tanja will write some general aspects.

AOB

We decided to have the next TelCo at June 23rd, 1 p.m. CEST and plan to have a 2-week period for the next virtual meetings. The text has to be cleaned up until end of August to communicate it with the WG4 group in a webinar in September.

Attention! see documents under DiSSCo Knowledge Base; especially Conceptual design blueprint for the digitisation infrastructure of DiSSCo, chapter 4.7 "Long-term data preservation alternatives" with "Recommendation 73": The topic "long-term preservation" and "archiving" is still neglected.


Minutes from telco 4

2020-07-06

We were four participants (i.e., Gila Kahila Bar-Gal, Dragan Ivanovic, Dagmar Triebel, Tanja Weibulat), Sven Bingert excused

TOP 1 Progress in setting up the guideline

  • Title

The proposed title abstains from mentioning "good practices" and "recommendations".

  • Introduction

The first text version of the "Introduction" is available, Gila will revise it (should be not so much extended). Citations should be added.

The reference to Conceptual design blueprint for the digitisation infrastructure of DiSSCo, chapter 4.7 "Long-term data preservation alternatives" with "Recommendation 73": The topic "long-term preservation" and "archiving" is important. The point is that until now "data archiving" is not well treated by the DiSSCo community.

  • Chapter 1

The term "topics" in the header was changed in "aspects". The chapter has now 5 paragraphs with keywords and text fragments. The number of paragraphs might be reduced during the writing process. Dagmar and Tanja intend to set up a draft text for the first introductory part until the next telco.

  • Chapter 2

The term "topics" in the header was changed in "aspects". The chapter has now 7 paragraphs with keywords and text fragments. The number of paragraphs might be reduced during the writing process. Dagmar started already to set up a draft text for the first introductory part and will continue.

  • Chapter 3

We did not discuss chapter 3 because of the absence of Sven Bingert.

  • References

The design and organisation of the chapter "References" will be under the auspice of Dragan. It might be an option to have the references managed in EndNote or a similar tool. Dragan will decide later. We have to think about whether we want to publish the guideline in the RIO journal (https://riojournal.com/; PENSOFT publisher) or elsewhere.

AOB

Dragan recommended a much more strict structuring of the guideline like https://www.w3.org/TR/dwbp/ or like https://enressh.eu/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/ENRESSH-ECOOM-2019-Databases-for-research-output-Manual-of-good-practices.pdf. We discussed that this approach might be appropriate for chapter 3. Chapter 1 and chapter 2 is now designed as free-text (with citations) to create the basic understanding in the audience.

The text has to be cleaned up until the end of August to communicate it with the WG4 group in a webinar in September. After that we will discuss a physical meeting of the 5 members of the editorial team in Munich, e.g. in November or December (if possible in COVID-19 times). Perhaps one researcher (D.I.) might apply for a STMS grant in the COST MOBILISE context.

The next telco is scheduled for 2020-07-16, 9:00 CEST.



Minutes from telco 5

2020-07-16

We were three participants (i.e., Dragan Ivanovic, Dagmar Triebel, Tanja Weibulat)

TOP 1 Progress in setting up the guideline

  • General progress

We decided to have "Guideline Messages" in italics, summarizing a preceeding text and offering 1-2 sentences preferably without references.

  • Glossary

Tanja started to work on the draft glossary in the GoogleDoc and under https://costmobilise.biowikifarm.net/wiki/Definitions_of_core_terms_in_the_data_archiving_context. The glossary is now "chapter 2" and the chapters are renumbered accordingly.

  • Chapter 3 "General..."

Dagmar continued re-structuring the chapters and will continue to include text. At the moment, the chapter "General..." has 3 sections. Finally it will have 5-6 "guideline messages".

  • Chapter 4 "Logical..." and Chapter 5 "Good practices...."

We did not discuss these chapters.

  • References

Dragan reported on the updates there. We decided to have a separate chapter "Web links and abbreviations (in alphabetical order; all URLs last accessed at MM, DD, 2020", similar as in the paper under https://academic.oup.com/database/article/doi/10.1093/database/baz002/5303972

AOB

The text has to be cleaned up until the end of August to communicate it with the WG4 group in a webinar in September.

The next telco is scheduled for 2020-08-27, 14:00 CEST.



Minutes from telco 6

2020-08-27

We were three participants (i.e., Sven Bingert, Gila Kahila Bar-Gal, Dagmar Triebel)

TOP 1 Webinar for whole WP4 group, meeting for WP4 editorial team

We agreed to postpone the WP4 Group Webinar to end of October because of delay in guideline editing. After that we certainly would like to have a physical meeting of the WP4 editorial team in Munich to discuss and incorporate the results. This however depends on the COVID-19 situation.

TOP 2 Progress in setting up the guideline

There is now readable text with nine "Guideline messages" for chapter 1-3. Tanja is working on the "Glossary". Dagmar has finished her writing for chapter 1-3 and is now going to write in chapter 4 "Logical...". Gila added text and some comments on the glossary. Tanja will include them in the Wiki and GoogleDoc. Dragan worked on "References...". Sven will start to produce text for chapter 5 "Good practices...".

AOB

  • Dagmar and Gila reported from the COST MOBILISE Core Group Virtual Meeting in July (2020-07-02) where a WP4 report was given. One point is, that WP4 is planning a side meeting before or after the physical Management committee (MC) Meeting in Crete (week starting with 2021-02-22). This WP4 side meeting might be organised with WP1 (PM), gap analysis for data archiving and long-term preservation, discuss guideline and finish it.
  • The next telco is scheduled for 2020-09-21, 14:00 CEST.



Minutes from telco 7

2020-09-21

We were four participants (i.e., Sven Bingert, Dragan Ivanovic, Dagmar Triebel, Tanja Weibulat)

TOP 1 Progress report on writing the guideline

in general: The creative process to write the guideline is slow because all team members are very much occupied with other tasks (partly due to the actual COVID 19 situation and growing institutional demands)

SB: is doing research work on possible use cases (for chapter 5)

DI: has organised the chapters "References" and "Websites" and checked whether all cited resources are mentioned there.

DT: has added some links to valuable resources under Useful links and materials and started to work on "chapter 4" to differenciate between three general levels of long-term archiving. i.e. Bit level, logical level and semantic level.

TW: proceeded to add text in the DRAFT Wiki Glossary under Definitions of core terms in the data archiving context (mainly Gila´s text proposal) and in the GoogleDoc/ guideline under "chapter 2" (glossary).

AOB

  • Dagmar could not participate at the COST MOBILISE Core Group Virtual Meeting in September where Gila gave a WP4 report. One point was the mid-term report of the working groups to be delivered at the end of September.
  • The next telco is scheduled for 2020-10-21, 13:00 CEST.
  • The working sessions of the TDWG 2020 annual conference "TDWG 2020 - A Virtual Conference" are running this week: https://www.tdwg.org/conferences/2020/. Several sessions are related to COST MOBILISE topics.



Minutes from telco 8

2020-10-21

Zoom Meeting. We were five participants (i.e., Sven Bingert, Dragan Ivanovic, Gila Kahila Bar-Gal, Dagmar Triebel, Tanja Weibulat)

TOP 1 Progress report on writing the guideline

SB: is continuing doing prework to organise section 5

DI: has written a short text for the section 4 "Data archiving and preservation technical strategies" ask for comments from the other editor responsible for that chapter

GK: is advertising our guideline approach and other COST MOBILISE activities in several CETAF and DiSSco committees.

DT: has added some links to valuable resources under Useful links and materials

TW: proceeded to add text in the GoogleDoc/ guideline under "section 2" (glossary).

AOB

  • Members of the CETAF Governing Board met last week (see here) and discussed strategy items regarded as relevant for the European taxonomic facilities and scientific collection community represented by CETAF. Three documents treated the topic "data archiving" as one of the action points.
    • Mid-term review of the CETAF Strategy and Strategic Development Plan 2015-2025 (Target area 4) is mentioning COST MOBILISE WG4 and the data archiving topic under 4.4. It is proposing the topic as future action point of the CETAF ISTC group
    • Annex to the mid-term review of the CETAF Strategy and Strategic Development Plan 2015-2025, Summary of recommendations and action points (Target area 4) is now mentioning data archiving under 4.4 with reference to COST MOBILISE and is recommending it as future action point of the CETAF ISTC group
    • CETAF ISTC Group report (ppt presentation with reference to https://species-id.net/o/media/6/6e/Minutes_CETAF_ISTC_DWG_2020.pdf and there COST MOBILISE WG4)
    • The three relevant CETAF documents (2 pdfs and 1 ppt) were sent to the members of the editorial team
  • Dagmar will send a reminder for next telco at November, 2nd
  • The next telco is scheduled for 2020-11-18, 13:00 CEST. --> Telco is postponed

New poll for for our next telefone conference: https://terminplaner4.dfn.de/lLcsKLlLmQLMz91R.



Minutes from telco 9

2021-02-09

Zoom Meeting. We were four participants (i.e., Sven Bingert, Dragan Ivanovic, Dagmar Triebel, Tanja Weibulat)

TOP 1 Progress report on writing the Archiving guideline

Progress very limited. We hope to have a consolidated first version to be distributed among stakerholder groups like DiSSCo and CETAF until the end of June.

TOP 2 Work retreat

The next telco is planned as a two day "work retreat" (see https://www.thesurfoffice.com/work-retreats/ retreat). It will take place from March, 16th until March, 17th 2021 as ZOOM Meeting (9:00 to 17:00 CET; Zoom link https://gwdg.zoom.us/j/84275858410?pwd=L1RyU2FtZm1lZmpUTEJKc2x1U2d3QT09). The design of the work retreat is still under discussion: One proposal is to split the GoogleDoc up into single chapters with rotating responsibilities among the editors. We will discuss this matter per email within the next few weeks (until end of February).

AOB

In the meanwhile the COST MOBILISE core group had several online meetings for organisational matters. Finally, the next face-to-face COST Managing Committee meeting planned for April was postponed. The planning is now for August in Crete but we will see... Perhaps it will be a kind of "hybrid" meeting where only a limited amount of people can travel.



Back to Archiving guideline editorial team